those who join me in my head--hello---is anyone there?

Friday, September 02, 2005

being split up

Being adopted 53 years ago, I know how it feels to be seperated from brothers, sisters, momma and who ever my daddy was. As I watch the hurricane victims being taken miles away, not knowing where family members are, alive or dead, the pain of not knowing if they will ever see each other again. My heart just breaks for these people. Most of these people are Black American, who, were torn from their families 200 years ago when they were first brought to the shores of this land. Now, once again, their family is torn apart, broken and pushed to their limits. Yes, White Americans have been hit by this hurricane too but, so many more are Black.
It brings it to the point, of are we going to treat it like its OUR story, or, "thier story" something they are going to have to deal with?
This is our story, not some tsunami thousands of miles away, its on our land,our brothers and sisters, our UNITED STATES!
Its a time for us to stand united, get together as the same way they did for New York
(strange, both have NEW in their name!)
What are we going to do?
How are we going to stand up and say WE ARE HERE!
They are bringing people to Kansas, we got word today that we will be getting 20 at our facility tomorrow. As sorry as I am for their place in life, I am honored to be able to help someone during this time. It makes me wonder, how this "Christian" area is going to really welcome the stench (no showers for days) the poverty (have lost everything) the overwelming depressed (mentally exhausted) people who are going to be coming to our state.
Time will tell.
Interesting, lesson which is being brought about to our door steps. It will be up to those of us who have learned from our past, how to reach out and embrace the future, or reject it and run screaming down the streets, I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!

No comments: