those who join me in my head--hello---is anyone there?

Monday, October 17, 2005

Drum Circle

We went to a "drum circle" today, the only thing we knew about it was an article in the newspaper with the headline "to a different drummer" wanting a new experience, dying for a new experience, we went.
When we got there, there were maybe 20 people sitting in a circle, maybe a few knowing each other but for the most part strangers. The leader explained ever so briefly about going to his first drum circle in Lawrence a few months back, and from that time on he had been hooked. How he had come up with "Rhythm Nation" as the theme of his group he was hoping to form, and, how this first circle was dedicated to the victims of Katrina, and he was going to be taking an offering. (that was the only political stance or view of anything said)
He had lots of drums there for anyone who wanted one to join in, or, offered those of us who didn't have drums to just sit and participate by listening and getting into the beat.
One beat, One heart beat, is the motto on his banner.
He then started with a simple slow beat and asked all to just join in. It was almost a spiritual moment for me which seems weird. As I sat there eyes closed just being, listening, allowing the beat to go thru me. I found myself offering up prayers of thanksgiving for unity, serenity, and peace. In my everyday life it becomes so full of chaos and obstructions that I know I fail to just sit and meditate. Sitting there, thinking and allowing. It was almost like, WOW why doesnt everyone do this!
There was no political view point, no church viewpoint, no special interest or vocalization of having to agree with this or that.
Just be! As people came late we opened the circle to allow others to join in, before it was over there were more than 50 people coming together just to go "to a different drummer"
In my own opinion most were not Newtonites but I don't know that for sure. The people I did know were formerly of the drug culture and been clean and sober for years (or so they portray) No formal introductions were done, only if you wanted to put your hand out to know the person next to you did anyone offer a name or even introduction. I actually met the lady next to me and her friend neither from Newton! I don't know how long its been since I have actually met a NEW person. I have found people in hometown just don't put their hand out to others, or maybe I have just become that unapproachable.

It was an amazing moment, a reflective moment, and a moment I much needed. I have been contemplating my goals, and my time here in hometown, it seems it is just a place to come to die. No newness, nothing to motivate anyone to become better, nothing to get a person out of a rut. Plenty of nursing homes and retirement centers, and there, they don't offer new life experiences, its a place to die!
For a moment, there were no expectations, only what each person brought emotionally, and spiritually in order to just be.

I cant wait till the next drum circle, which, wont be until Dec. 3....sigh, such a long wait!

No comments: