those who join me in my head--hello---is anyone there?

Saturday, November 05, 2005

In Honor of my parents Anniversary Nov. 5 1942

He was leaving for the Army it was Nov. 5 1942, there was no time for a wedding, and no money for anything more than
a quick wedding in Sterling Kansas, married by my mothers Uncle Ben who was a minister. Her sister was the maiden of Honor and I dont even know who stood up with my dad. Perhaps, my mom's brother inlaw? I dont know!
He left for Ft. Riley the next day, and, she went home to live with his parents. The German's out in the country. Mother worked as a waitress in town, and she would catch a ride into town with whomever was going that way. My grandparents didnt care for her, she was a poor farmers daughter, who didnt bring any money into the family. They wouldnt speak English when she was around, and, when her sisters came to visit her they would not let them come into the house.
She lived in this hostile environment for two years before my dad got out of the Army. She said it was the worst two years of her life. Sadly to say, she didnt talk about it much, except to say, if my dad's brother had not walked in to the barn one day, she might have not been alive. As she was pushed off the hay loft by my grandpa. She was pregnant, and lost the baby. One of three miscarrages she had.
When my dad got out of the Army, they rented a farm about a mile away. He tried his hand at farming my grandpa's ground along with his brothers. He didnt last at farming, he left and moved to Potwin Kansas where he landed a job with Vicker's Refinery. They were married 10 years before adopting me. My mom passed away on Jan. 18, 1996. My dad passed away on Sept. 3, 2003. My daughter got married on their 52nd anniversary. Posted by Picasa

No comments: